It’s an act of bravery to recognize our own weaknesses. And that is the first step towards changing one’s personal status quo, because instead of using such issues as excuses to justify the current outcomes, you can use your weaknesses to your advantage and find ways to transform them into steppingstones to improve and eventually reach a better state.
Here are five ways to use our flaws to our advantage and turn something negative into a positive.
- IT’S USUALLY NOT YOUR FAULT. Most of our weaknesses are related to either our upbringing or the circumstances around us. If we were not trained or educated on a given subject, chances are we will fail when faced with a similar situation. For example, if you are not into sports and out of shape, and then you need to climb a wall or run extremely fast, it will be too difficult to conquer such obstacle. If you want to change that, you can start by adding exercise to your daily routine. This will help you to be ready the next time that a similar situation occurs.
- YOU ARE LEARNING ABOUT YOURSELF. As mentioned above, accepting our weaknesses is a great start. You are learning about yourself and that helps you using this knowledge to make different decisions. Think of yourself as a work-in-progress. The more you learn about your weak spots, the busiest you will be improving, making changes, getting stronger. And such process will leave no time to whine and lament, bus instead you will be constantly carving your path of success.
- SHARE YOUR FLAWS. Sometimes the most difficult thing to do is to share our issues with other people. The idea that “it’s nobody else’s business” can work in detriment of our goals. Allowing ourselves to be vulnerable in front of others it releases the burden of keeping our feelings bottled up. If we don’t do it, we create a situation like a dam that is about to crack, and when it does… oh boy! There’s nothing wrong with showing our human side and use those lessons to move on with our lives. You will find that a lot of people relate to you and are ready to support you. Try it! When you share, that is a great way to use your weaknesses to your advantage.
- TAKE TIME TO PROCESS. Our defects can be the reason for depression, sadness, frustration, and other negative feelings. Sometimes trying to correct something that went bad due to our limitations requires time to overcome such negative feelings. When possible, use some time (minutes, hours or even days) to process your emotions. Let it all out! Allow yourself to drown in your sorrows and hit rock bottom… and then… after you took enough time… rise… all the way up! Be ready to use that experience to learn and become better. It’s all worth it. Make it count. Make it yours!
- KEEP TRACK OF YOUR CHALLENGES. Everybody loves a great comeback! We see it in the movies, and we love it when it’s based on a true story. You can do the same with your own story. Keeping track of the hurdles and obstacles you face every day, and recalling the steps you took to overcome them, will give you enough motivation to remember that you are capable of so much more than you thought you could do. Using our past to take smart decisions in the present is the foundation of a better future.
Recognizing and using our weaknesses is the baseline to define goals and turn those into strengths. Use your weaknesses to your advantage. It all starts with mindful recognition and acceptance.
Then, we take action and start rising… all the way up!